CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pounding Some Pavement

On Saturday I ran in my first ever 5K! A friend of mine and I decided a month or so ago that we were going to sign up for this event as motivation to get back into shape (well, that's my motivation at least!). So, I have been trying to run, or do some other form of cardio, as much as possible and have been going to a weight lifting/cardio class at the gym (which I really, really like).

I think I am off to a good start on getting back in shape but have a ways to go. At any rate, I was a little nervous about the race beforehand because I was afraid an ambulance was going to have to pick me up on the side of the course when I passed out from exhaustion, but luckily that didn't happen! I finished the race (on my own, no ambulance help) in 31 minutes and 53 seconds, a little over a 10 minute mile, which I was very pleased with.

M plan is to run in a 10K (that's 6.2 miles) next monthh and eventually work myself up to a half marathon. Yes, I realize that a half marathon is 13 miles, but I need goals! I really have to have incremental goals in order to achieve anything, otherwise I get distracted and have a tendency to move on to something else. So wish me luck in my goals and I'll keep you posted of my progress!

And, I didn't want to leave you without any pictures, but I forgot to take my camera on Saturday. Luckily, the event sponsors historian was taking lots of pictures of all the runners and I found one of me as I perused the hundred of pictures on their site, so here ya go!


5 comments:

The Quinn Report said...

Looking good girl; awesome job!!!!

Linda said...

So proud of you...but IN THIS HEAT?????? UGH! Did you run in NB?

Courtney said...

I'm so proud of you! I never thought I'd see this day!

Samantha said...

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!

Linda - The run was in San Antonio, Alamo Heights area and it started at 7:30 so it wasn't too hot then!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sam, wow! You are my inspiration! ~Amy R.